Sunday 12 December 2010

60th Birthday Cake

A friend Elaine, asked me to make a cake for her mum’s 60th birthday. I was pleased that she didn’t want me to make a massive 60 and instead gave me a lovely, loose brief, saying that her mum loves flowers and shopping and her favourite colours are lilac and lemon.
I had a vague design in my head and as I worked on the cake I added a few more details as I went along until I was happy with the final design.
The cake is a vanilla sponge with vanilla buttercream filling. I covered the cake with a light lilac fondant and added a deep purple fondant ribbon and base. I gave it a light layer of pearlescent spray to make it look more luxurious.
 I mixed up some subtly different lemons shades of fondant mixed with Mexican paste which I used to stamp out 3 sizes of daisy shapes. I added indents for the centre and used a knife to add small details on the petals. I left the large flowers to dry on top of some pots and lids to create a slight curve. The bigger daisies had a small flourish of lemon glitter and I added dark purple centres to the tiny blossoms, to tie in with the ribbon and the base.
I am very pleased with the result, it was really nice to make a ‘grown up’ cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment